HOT Season, isn't called "hot" season for nothing. Temperatures can soar up to the high 40's centigrade, and when May arrives, so does the humidity. Today is a cool day 43 degrees, humidity is around 40-50%. For everyone, it is a challenge to stay cool, or at least hydrated. It has been particularly challenging to keep the littlest member of our family hydrated. She wants to do everything herself, and yet the sippy cups don't allow enough water through fast enough. So, dependent on people to help her drink--and please DON'T give me lukewarm water!--Natalie has been having significant issues with constipation. (Some day she may get very angry at me for making these distresses public knowledge!) Frequent power cuts only add to the problem, as one starts dripping before the fan stops turning! Despite making prune puree, and giving her the equivalent of 3-5 prunes on a daily basis--sometimes more, she remained uncomfortable in her condition, producing limited results. I tried everything I could think of, including switching to just a regular cup, and offering her water everytime she squeaked. Suppositories were attempted but only offered temporary relief, and didn't tackle the real problem. Mineral oil did the trick initially, and now I have developed a cookie for Natalie, that is maintaining regularity in a wonderfully delicious way. Using a general oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, and substituting and adding things, Natalie is happily munching her way to comfort with a simple cookie. It is healthy, full of fiber, and more effective than I could have ever imagined! (Thanks to Alicia for the idea, and encouragement!) While this may seem like a silly thing to blog about, when constipation is keeping a small girl from eating, sleeping, and happiness in general it is time to take action! I think a few nights of crying for 4 hours tipped me a bit over the edge and put me in a situation to seek for sustainable alternatives that didn't require medication, or suppositories. The cookies are actually quite tasty, and I've had to limit their consumption, by making them off limits to everyone except Natalie! I've tried to come up with a name for the cookies, but the only thing that came to mind were CRC's (constipation relieving cookies) and that didn't seem appropriate as a permanent option. Any suggestions out there?
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Hot Season complications
HOT Season, isn't called "hot" season for nothing. Temperatures can soar up to the high 40's centigrade, and when May arrives, so does the humidity. Today is a cool day 43 degrees, humidity is around 40-50%. For everyone, it is a challenge to stay cool, or at least hydrated. It has been particularly challenging to keep the littlest member of our family hydrated. She wants to do everything herself, and yet the sippy cups don't allow enough water through fast enough. So, dependent on people to help her drink--and please DON'T give me lukewarm water!--Natalie has been having significant issues with constipation. (Some day she may get very angry at me for making these distresses public knowledge!) Frequent power cuts only add to the problem, as one starts dripping before the fan stops turning! Despite making prune puree, and giving her the equivalent of 3-5 prunes on a daily basis--sometimes more, she remained uncomfortable in her condition, producing limited results. I tried everything I could think of, including switching to just a regular cup, and offering her water everytime she squeaked. Suppositories were attempted but only offered temporary relief, and didn't tackle the real problem. Mineral oil did the trick initially, and now I have developed a cookie for Natalie, that is maintaining regularity in a wonderfully delicious way. Using a general oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, and substituting and adding things, Natalie is happily munching her way to comfort with a simple cookie. It is healthy, full of fiber, and more effective than I could have ever imagined! (Thanks to Alicia for the idea, and encouragement!) While this may seem like a silly thing to blog about, when constipation is keeping a small girl from eating, sleeping, and happiness in general it is time to take action! I think a few nights of crying for 4 hours tipped me a bit over the edge and put me in a situation to seek for sustainable alternatives that didn't require medication, or suppositories. The cookies are actually quite tasty, and I've had to limit their consumption, by making them off limits to everyone except Natalie! I've tried to come up with a name for the cookies, but the only thing that came to mind were CRC's (constipation relieving cookies) and that didn't seem appropriate as a permanent option. Any suggestions out there?
6 comments:
Cookies with Raisins And Prunes or CRAP for short
LOL! Gotta love anonymous' comment! My daughter had the same problem at that age. Wish I'd had your recipe then!
I've got a little constipated girl...what's the recipe? Thanks!
one of mine could have used that recipe too! you should make it public! :)
although i LOVED anonymous's idea, i couldn't see myself calling cookies by that name to my children... what about Go-Go cookies! :)
Post a Comment