Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cultural Adaptation????!!!!


Ok, those of you who have a degree in psychology and/or sociology, maybe you can lend a hand into the insights of bizarre dreams. Lately, it is almost comical how quickly the laundry tub in our bathroom fills up. I'm beginning to wonder what the bottom of the tub really looks like. I occasionally joke with Alan that he needs to fire his wife and find a new one. Here in Niger, it is common for a man to take a second, or third wife. Up to 4 are allowed in the muslim faith. Some will even take it a bit farther and have only 4 at one time, divorcing when necessary, or desired. (Divorce is very simple here in Niger. One only needs to repeat, "I divorce you." three times. ) Well...a couple of weeks ago, I had a dream. I was helping a petite blond woman prepare for her wedding. She was very nice. Sweet, charming, caring...many of the things I'm sure that husbands look for in wives. Well, after the ceremony was finished, I realized that I'd just happily married a trophy wife to MY husband!!! I then strangely wondered where she thought she was going to live, and sleep! Not in MY house, that's for sure!
When I told Alan about the dream, I asked him what he thought it meant. "Was I empathizing with some of the unhappy first wives? Was I seeing the need for an extra pair of hands around the house? Am I just stressed about where we'll live when we are on home assignment?" He said, " I have NO idea, but I do know what it doesn't mean--I'm NOT taking another wife!" Glad that's clear at least!!! :)

2 comments:

Gina Mast said...

Funny! Maybe instead of a second wife, a housekeeper would be just fine! And, remember, God will provide a home for you when in the states on home assignment; the word is out. We would be very willing to pitch our tent in the backyard too, if it comes down to that!

RH said...

Oh this is great to hear! I'm not the only one that has strange dreams. Alan had the right answer. Praying you find a place and God is clear with his next direction for all of you.