Saturday, November 6, 2010
Reflections on Snow
Yesterday we saw the first few flakes flying, signalling the coldness to come. It was the first time Rachel had ever remembered seeing snow (she was just a baby in Quebec) and it was Natalie's very first experience. Alan and I were out with the girls running some errands, and the first few flakes came fluttering down. We could see the flakes, but Rachel couldn't. We had to show her how to look for them by looking against a dark background, instead of up at the sky. It took a few minutes, and then she got it. Natalie didn't really notice, until it was coming down more thickly, and landing on her little face and eyelashes. She did a lot of blinking and looking around...with an expression of "What's going on?" and "Something cold is in my eyes...who's putting it there?" When we returned home, Rachel had to run next door to tell Grandpa and Grandma (and the rest of the office) what was happening. She was ready to start making snowmen and throwing snowballs. It took a little explaining that there needed to be a lot more snow before those fun things could be done. I simply reflected on the fact that I hadn't yet turned into an icicle, though it must be only 32 degrees fahrenheit. I think that I prefer 32 Centigrade if I'm brutally honest. One also finds it hard to believe that it is not really even truly cold here in Michigan yet. I've already been wearing 2 pairs of socks (one of which is wool), and layers on a regular basis. What am I going to do when the temperatures drop by 30-50 more degrees??? Why is it that the children seem to be adapting more readily than Alan or I? Is it possible that God made me so I would more easily adapt to the heat than the cold? (I've never liked being cold). I suppose I just need to re-learn the "tricks" for keeping warm, like I learned the "tricks" for staying cool in 115 degree (45+ C)weather. Right now it takes several pots of tea, microwaveable foot warmers, and a hot water bottle for the bed. Not to mention afghans/blankets for snuggling on the couch, and warm wiggly bodies snuggled up with me. I think I still prefer snowy weather to just plain cold weather, as it makes everything look fresh and beautiful. Although, I do also wish that snow would happen on days when it is hot, instead of cold and dismal, but that is also part of the beauty of God's creation and the changing seasons. I do look forward to the childrens' reactions when there is truly a blanket of snow for them to go out and play in. I imagine that those days will soon be here...sigh...I think I'm going to go put the kettle on for a nice cup of HOT tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment