Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lost in Translation

On my trip into town to buy some supplies for the week, I had an unusual experience. Before I left, I asked Alan if he needed anything. "Super glue" was the answer. (He spends a lot of time glueing this and that after the harsh reality of a cement floor meets with various objects in our home). No problem, I knew it was available in town. Now, Rachel and I did the other bits of shopping that I needed. When I got to the superglue, I knew that I didn't know the word in Hausa, so I used "collant" which is glue in French. The shop keeper gave me a strange look, so I tried again, taking care with my pronunciation. Still a look of bafflement. So I did what one often does here when we are not sure of the word: I talked around it. I explained in French that I needed something that would help fix things when they were dropped or broken. Still a blank stare. Next, I switched to Hausa, and gave the same explanation, but this time I added gestures, pretending to glue my fingers together. This time I got a light bulb!!! (in heavy French accent) "Super glue?" I couldn't help but roll my eyes, and laugh. When I explained to the shop owner that this was an English term he seemed amazed. I guess next time I'll skip the antics and simply ask for superglue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RH said...

Isn't that funny how some words are universal. I never knew before that super glue was one of them.