During "rest hour" we are often treated to many different birds warbling or singing to us. As Galmi is a "green spot" amidst a very dry place, I think that many birds passing through stop for a rest, a bit of a drink (out of the Galmi pool) and to "chat with the locals". We have seen many different kinds of birds here in Galmi, and they are quite remarkable to us. This bird decided to take advantage of the security bars on our open window and have his rest there. The picture isn't great, but note the forked tail, brilliant red/green/yellow breast, and hooked beak. One day, maybe when I'm actually resting during "rest hour" I'll look him up and find out what kind of bird he is. There is another bird, who makes an awful racket when he is around, but doesn't get as close. He is also a brilliant specimen. I'll add him in if I can find the photo I shot several months ago. It's such a wonderful sound to hear the different birdsong from time to time.
Friday, March 12, 2010
Warbler in the window
During "rest hour" we are often treated to many different birds warbling or singing to us. As Galmi is a "green spot" amidst a very dry place, I think that many birds passing through stop for a rest, a bit of a drink (out of the Galmi pool) and to "chat with the locals". We have seen many different kinds of birds here in Galmi, and they are quite remarkable to us. This bird decided to take advantage of the security bars on our open window and have his rest there. The picture isn't great, but note the forked tail, brilliant red/green/yellow breast, and hooked beak. One day, maybe when I'm actually resting during "rest hour" I'll look him up and find out what kind of bird he is. There is another bird, who makes an awful racket when he is around, but doesn't get as close. He is also a brilliant specimen. I'll add him in if I can find the photo I shot several months ago. It's such a wonderful sound to hear the different birdsong from time to time.
1 comment:
It's called the Beautiful Sunbird (Cinnyris pulchella). They like to hang out in front of your kitchen window. The noisy bird is probably a starling, if it is brilliant blue/purple.
Post a Comment